Re: TRM - Morbidity has set in, or not?

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:27:06 +0300

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147490980.634417.4870_at_i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> paul c wrote:
> > Marshall Spight wrote:
> > >

> > I believe he is bound by some non-disclosure agreement and since the
> > business involved has gone awry, he is stuck. So you can hardly blame
> > him except perhaps for not having the foresight to sign a NDA that had
> > no expiry date.

> I don't "blame" him, but I do note that he does not back up
> any of the claims he makes relative to "transrelational". So his claims
> are unevaluable. They might be true, or they might be false; we have
> no way of knowing.

> My policy towards unevaluable statements is to ignore them
> until they become evaluable.

Full disclosure: set theory and predicate logic. :-) Please evaluate. :-)

> > > Michael Stonebreaker has a small company that is selling a column
> > > store; it looks quite interesting.

> > After a promising start many years ago, Stonebraker has long been a tech
> > salesman for various fads.

> Do you speak from personal experience here?

> Stonebraker started studying relational in 1973. DBMSs that he's lead
> the develompent of include Ingres, Illustra, Postgres, Cohera, and
> StreamBase. He is the recipient of the IEEE Von Neuman medal,
> which has also gone to such people as Gordon Bell, Fred Brooks,
> Don Knuth, and Alfred Aho.

So ?

> > From what I've read, most of his "opponents" haven't got the foggiest
> > of what he is talking about.

> So he keeps telling us. (Although I do not disagree with the sentiment
> that there is a lot of ignorance to go around.)

Do you know about what he is talking ?
He is talking about the fact that you should not trust him or Date or Codd or ... :-)
Question the axioms. :-)

> > > I wonder: has he ever
> > > accomplished anything that would back up his claims? Has he ever
> > > published a proof? Published a paper in a peer-reviewed journal?
> > > Made use of any formal methods? Written any software? To my
> > > knowledge, he has published two books, one of them "Practical
> > > Issues is Database Management". Which was a fine book, although
> > > the last person I leant it to noted "you could hear the axe grinding
> > > on every page."
> >
> > Yes, he has performed a public service, mostly without gain to himself
> > whereas many of the "opponents" puff fools-gold because it is in their
> > own interest to make systems bigger and more grandiose than they need to
> > be. IT being a modern-day goldrush is full of carpet-baggers always
> > promising more than they can deliver.

> In other words, he's a consultant and public speaker. I've done
> both of those things myself.

> But what I asked was, has he ever accomplished anything?
> Can you find a mathematical proof anywhere on dbdebunk?

Mathematical proofs are foolproof. :-)

> > Peer review means less and
> > less now and is often a joke - more like a cover to protect "jobs for
> > the boys". CS credentials are usually a tawdry peerage - most of those
> > "peers" should demand refunds of their tuition fees but only a few have
> > the brains to see this and even fewer have the guts.

> In other words, everyone is stupid, so the fact that FP doesn't
> publish in peer reviewed journals is irrelevant.

> Publishing in peer reviewed journals remains the gold standard
> for academic achievement. In other words, it is how we judge
> "evidence and logic." The system is imperfect: like democracy,
> it is the worst thing possible, except for every alternative.
> It is certainly preferable to, say, putting up a website where
> you make fun of your debating opponents names, control
> every aspect of the presentation of the debate yourself, and
> refuse to publish any corrections or updates that they send
> you.

I bring to your attention another "gold" standard:

"Now while I sit in my oldest daughter and her husband's comfortable, happy, recently-built home, I'm online to look up Phi Beta Kappa so I understand the honor my youngest is receiving upon her graduation this weekend." -- a mom Received on Mon May 15 2006 - 12:27:06 CEST

Original text of this message