Re: TRM - Morbidity has set in, or not?

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 May 2006 10:36:48 -0700

Frank Hamersley wrote:

> Is there any veracity in _any_ of the claims made by _any_ of the parties?
>
> Given lots of mud gets flung as the discussion proceeds so I wondered if
> there was any corroborative or contrary sources.

The "transrelational" stuff doesn't have much written about it. I can't find
anything to suggest that it's anything besides a traditional column store.
Various parties, including FP himself, have on occasion said, "oh no, it's much more than that" but they don't back it up at all, so their claims
are unevaluable.

Michael Stonebreaker has a small company that is selling a column store; it looks quite interesting.

As an aside, I note that Mr. Pascal spends quite a lot of time telling us
how smart and logical he is, and how all of his opponents are stupid, ignorant, and illogical. He also spends a lot of time name calling, and even making fun of other people's names! I wonder: has he ever accomplished anything that would back up his claims? Has he ever published a proof? Published a paper in a peer-reviewed journal? Made use of any formal methods? Written any software? To my knowledge, he has published two books, one of them "Practical Issues is Database Management". Which was a fine book, although the last person I leant it to noted "you could hear the axe grinding on every page."

Marshall Received on Fri May 12 2006 - 19:36:48 CEST

Original text of this message