Re: Shared game-data

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 00:46:30 GMT

JOG wrote:

> This thread is very confused.
>
> * lots of games do use the RM. Most modern MMORPG persist the
> unbelievably large amount of data they amass using RDBMS.
>
> * lots of games don't, but they tend to be the ones that don't need to
> persist much data. There is impedence between OOP and RM

That, of course, is just a measure of the flaws in the OOP programming languages used.

> Slow client-server architectures are the problem, not RM itself

Actually, widespread ignorance is the problem. The rest are just symptoms.

> * Prolog is not a particularly popular tool in modern AI, despite its
> nostalgic charms. Nerual nets, evolutionary algorithms, genetic
> programming, subsumption architectures, etc.. hardly a thriving area
> for an old inference based language.
>
> And yet people seem obsessed with reinventing expert systems, just as
> they do hierarchical databases.
>
> Aren't people odd.

Very odd. However, most of the selective pressure on our genus for the past five million pre-dated the last five thousand years or so of [Quoted] civilisation and of scientific advance. Humans never evolved to think all that well. Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 02:46:30 CEST

Original text of this message