Re: Shared game-data

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 30 Apr 2006 15:56:39 -0700

[Quoted] This thread is very confused.

    [Quoted]
  • lots of games do use the RM. Most modern MMORPG persist the [Quoted] unbelievably large amount of data they amass using RDBMS. [Quoted]
  • lots of games don't, but they tend to be the ones that don't need to [Quoted] [Quoted] persist much data. There is impedence between OOP and RM, so one can understand (if painfully) the inertia in even educated games programmers, especially given the lack of native RM-based libraries and the pressure they are under to bodge something together that just works by publishers.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Slow client-server architectures are the problem, not RM itself, for these people. Programmers need the tools - a relation template in the STL, and support for RA in <algorithm> anyone? Given I still can't even use a standard hashmap cross platform yet, I'm not holding my breath.

    [Quoted]
  • Prolog is not a particularly popular tool in modern AI, despite its [Quoted] nostalgic charms. Nerual nets, evolutionary algorithms, genetic programming, subsumption architectures, etc.. hardly a thriving area for an old inference based language.

And yet people seem obsessed with reinventing expert systems, just as they do hierarchical databases.

[Quoted] Aren't people odd. Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 00:56:39 CEST

Original text of this message