From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2006 08:46:44 -0700

Alvin Ryder wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
>
> > And anyway, I wouldn't say the RM is the best tool for
> > *everything.* Just the best tool for data management.
>
> Only certain kinds of data, it's not very good for: temporal, spatial,
> logic, oo, multimedia, unstructured and document libraries, ... but yes
> it has some strengths too.

The RM is a practical application of set theory. Is set theory good for some kinds of data but not others? Set theory is foundational. The analogy to what you are saying ("good for some things, not for others") would be like saying that some parts of a house need a foundation, but not others.

What kinds of data can't you put in sets?

Marshall Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 17:46:44 CEST

Original text of this message