From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 14:03:33 GMT

Alvin Ryder wrote:

> Marshall Spight wrote:
>

>>Alvin  Ryder wrote:
>>
>>>Marshall  Spight wrote:
>>>

> I'm sure the reasons you have provided hold true in some cases but the
> RM has been extended in various fields because it has well acknowledged
> weakness. For example it isn't good at representing geographical or
> spatial data.

See? That's just plain simple ignorance. Ignorant misconceptions are not valid arguments.

> With the RM it's easy to say "list all customers with blue cars", not
> easy to say "list all monsters within shooting range", or "list all
> houses within 50 miles of me".

What makes you say that?

Select Shooter, Monster
 From shooters, monsters
Where Distance(Shooter,Monster) < x;

> I'm not talking about issues with "sql", I mean issues with the RM.

But if the issues are an imaginary product of your own ignorance, you won't convince many of us.

>>And anyway, I wouldn't say the RM is the best tool for
>>*everything.* Just the best tool for data management.

> Only certain kinds of data, it's not very good for: temporal, spatial,
> logic, oo, multimedia, unstructured and document libraries,

Horseshit! Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 16:03:33 CEST

Original text of this message