From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:13:50 GMT

JOG wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>Alvin Ryder wrote:

>>>I agree linked-lists aren't as powerful as the RM but LISP and Prolog
>>>are not merely about lists.
>>>
>>>Both Prolog and LISP can represent information and indeed knowledge
>>>well beyond the RM, that's why they are popular with the ai community!
>>
>>Given the standard definitions of information and knowledge, that's a
>>rather astounding claim. Do you have anything that might back it up?
>

> Prolog models a greater subset of predicate logic than relational
> theory due to its inclusion of negation and disjunction. As such it has
> been traditional popular in classic-AI as the basis of inference
> engines. Whether this allows it to offer a better representation of
> 'knowledge' is up for debate.

It would be a short debate. The standard definitions define data as that subset of information represented suitably for machine processing, making knowledge that subset of information lacking such suitable representation.

I direct you to Dijkstra's famous quote regarding submarines.

Are you suggesting that NOT is not negation or that OR is not disjunction? I am curious what basis you think you have for the astounding statement: "Prolog models a greater subset of predicate logic than relational theory due to its inclusion of negation and disjunction." Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 19:13:50 CEST

Original text of this message