From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 08:35:21 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Alvin Ryder wrote:
> > Neo wrote:
> >
> >>I believe I have already surpassed RM. And as far as I can
> >>tell, linked-lists are not even as flexible as RM.
> >
> > I agree linked-lists aren't as powerful as the RM but LISP and Prolog
> > are not merely about lists.
> >
> > Both Prolog and LISP can represent information and indeed knowledge
> > well beyond the RM, that's why they are popular with the ai community!
>
> Given the standard definitions of information and knowledge, that's a
> rather astounding claim. Do you have anything that might back it up?

Prolog models a greater subset of predicate logic than relational theory due to its inclusion of negation and disjunction. As such it has been traditional popular in classic-AI as the basis of inference engines. Whether this allows it to offer a better representation of 'knowledge' is up for debate. Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 10:35:21 CDT