Re: More on lists and sets

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2006 18:44:36 -0800

Jan Hidders wrote:

> > That appears to be some very extreme dressing up (but that's research
> > for you). Can you recommend any seminal references for this solved
> > issue Jan?
>
> Hard to say, because it's a bit scattered and not always recognizable
> to the untrained eye. But if I'd have to point to one paper it would
> probably be Principles of Programming with Complex Objects and
> Collection Types (1995) by Buneman, Naqvi, Tannen and Wong:
>
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/90087.html

That was quite a cool paper! I was impressed by how much mileage they got out of the structurally-recursive view of sets, bags, and lists. At the same time, I still find the Tropashko algebra the more compelling approach.

Marshall Received on Mon Mar 27 2006 - 04:44:36 CEST

Original text of this message