Re: More on lists and sets

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2006 02:59:49 -0800

JOG wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:
> [snip]
> > Moreover, integrating lists and bags into a
> > declarative set-oriented language is basically a solved problem as the
> > required ideas, knowledge and experience is already available in the
> > literature, although it is sometimes dressed up as "nested relational",
> > "object-oriented" or "xml" research.
>
> That appears to be some very extreme dressing up (but that's research
> for you). Can you recommend any seminal references for this solved
> issue Jan?

Hard to say, because it's a bit scattered and not always recognizable to the untrained eye. But if I'd have to point to one paper it would probably be Principles of Programming with Complex Objects and Collection Types (1995) by Buneman, Naqvi, Tannen and Wong:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/90087.html

  • Jan Hidders