Re: More on lists and sets

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:14:07 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> [...] A cursor is a named query, declared in the
> context of a user process (program), that can be invoked to play the role
> of a list. I haven't seen cursors discussed as if they were lists, but it
> seems to make an eminent amount of sense to me.

Really? Cursors are an inherent procedural concept and I would think that is the last thing you want in what should be a declarative query and manipulation langauge. Moreover, integrating lists and bags into a declarative set-oriented language is basically a solved problem as the required ideas, knowledge and experience is already available in the literature, although it is sometimes dressed up as "nested relational", "object-oriented" or "xml" research.

  • Jan Hidders