Re: We have a troll

From: Todd <toddkennethbenson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2006 02:47:36 -0800

mAsterdam wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> > We have a troll.
>
> And I've been had. I really hoped that the people who
> called him troll were wrong: just somebody who
> could make a point with a little more effort to
> come across clear.

I hope this was a joke.

> Nice research and analysis, thank you.

And this.

> > [Background reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll ]
> >
> > Last night I had nothing better to do and so spent some time searching
> > for past activity from our newest member. The raw numbers are
> > staggering:
> > this is someone who posts hundreds of messages a month, totaling tens
> > of thousands of posts on hundreds of newsgroups going back a decade.
> > He has averaged over five posts a day for the last ten years.
> > He most often appears in areas of maximum controversy:
> > abortion, homosexuality, creationism.
>
> And now database theory :-)

I agree.

> [snip]
> > Some of you are still unsure whether he is a troll or not.
>
> Until this excellent post, I was.
>
> "... or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served
> in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished
> with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and
> *PLONK* ."
In any case, my 2c would be (not that anyone cares at this point) that I can tell you that this kind of negativity, suppression of opinion, excommunication even, is just a tad bit silly. I reverently respect the opinions of Marshal and mAterdam, but I think this witch-hunt is a bit too much. I can tell you working in IT, seeing some of these opinions would prevent me from hiring some of the hunters.

As for Mr. Mark Johnson, well, I guess I would say to him just walk away from this one. There seems to be no constructive criticism here.

Todd Received on Sun Feb 26 2006 - 11:47:36 CET

Original text of this message