Re: Database design

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:55:37 -0800

mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote:

>> Are you saying that you find the above, confusing?

>> Let me break it down:

>> "there are important considerations addressed by database builders
>> having to do with integrity (floating, loose records), and simply the
>> rate at which queries can be performed."

>> It is recommended that SQL be used to perform the basic operations on
>> the dataset. Some object model coding, instead, might be used with
>> these hierarchical, self-referential table schemes, which was the
>> subject, here. That could introduce error. One sort of error might
>> have to do with integrity, which typically refers to a loss of
>> reference among particular elements; something called 'dangling
>> records', or such. And more importantly, in order to reconstruct the
>> structure, an access path must be 'chased' which can take time,
>> depending on the speed of the routine which performs what would be
>> this frequent, routine function. Oracle, for example, provides such an
>> extension called, Connect By, and related extensions.

>Yep. Are you saying that to deal with hierarchies in SQL databases
>you have to put some effort into it?

I don't know if you're trying to be clever, or 'funny', or what. But I took the time to clarify something which really needed no clarification. I see now that I shouldn't have done that. And I really don't know what else to add. And if you wish to characterize my suggestions for your glossary as all being somehow utterly incomprehensible, so be it. I was only trying to help. Received on Sat Feb 25 2006 - 20:55:37 CET

Original text of this message