Re: Database design

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 21 Feb 2006 18:31:00 -0800

Mark Johnson wrote:
> "JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >This whole 'flat' debate is nonsense too. Write a database down in its
> >mathematical form, devoid of tables
>
> It is flat. A relation has no structure, unless there is some ordering
> among the attributes. The attributes are supposed to be in no
> particular order. The entries/instances/tuples are supposed to be in
> no particular order. That's just definitional.

Sigh. I assume, in your particular case then, you mean 'has no composite data types' when you use the nonsense-term flat?

I have no idea why you have choose define a relation again, and I'm going to try and ignore the word 'instance' in there. (I can only hope you are not relating a tuple to an object). Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 03:31:00 CET

Original text of this message