Re: Database design

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 21 Feb 2006 18:00:22 -0800

Alexandr Savinov wrote:
> JOG schrieb:
> > Mark Johnson wrote:

> >> Then I certainly stand to be corrected. I thought the relation was
> >> thought to be essentially an unordered set or list of entities, and
> >> nothing more.
> >
> > A tuple does not equate to an entity, in fact far from it.

> So what is then an entity?

Please Google entity-relationship for how the term is commonly used in this sort of field. Surely its obvious there is no one to one correspondence between a tuple and an entity due to 1NF normalization, if for no other reason.

This whole 'flat' debate is nonsense too. Write a database down in its mathematical form, devoid of tables, and tell me how on earth it can be flat (which semantically means two-dimensional of course), deep, fat, thin, whatever. If you mean it doesn't support composite types say that. If you mean it contains no explicit links, say that. Calling it flat is semantically redundant and doesn't aid any real discussion. Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 03:00:22 CET

Original text of this message