Re: How are OO databases doing

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:34:05 -0500

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Arturo,
>
>>OO langages. And for developers like me it is still a pain not to have
>>an integrated technology. So why the disconect?
>
> The solution is to leverage application development languages to
> support relational features, and not to return to primitive data models
> that match better with current OO languages.
>
> M$ is doing the first thing (although rather clumsily IMO) with LINQ
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/future/linq/

Well, I daresay that this represents not much more than the notion of having "sequences" (aka lists aka vectors aka arrays) as first class objects in the language where you can loop across them.

That's something that pretty well any self-respecting scripting language supports quite nicely these days.

Frankly, what they have doesn't hold a candle to what Waters put into the SERIES package <http://series.sourceforge.net/> back in the late 1980s. I'd be somewhat impressed if they had something like THAT...

--
"cbbrowne","_at_","gmail.com"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html