How are OO databases doing

From: Arturo Hernandez <arthernan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2006 17:43:27 -0800

A lot of products came out around 10 years ago, and today we don't see a lot of media coverage of OO databases. Back on those days java was still new and the ODMG had just come out with their ORB specification. Microsoft fired back with .NET and I think has lost some of it's mojo since.

But back to my question. Besides what everybody says that there is an inherent mapping problem between SQL and OO databases. Or that there are different kinds of cultures of people involved. The test of time is harsh, I just checked and versant had 500k of revenue on their first quarter according to their website. People are always trying to find better ways to do things. Java is a good example, a lot of people do use Java it still grabs headlines. More and more people try to learn Java. If people were not willing to take on something new why did Java come about.

Beyond the the ideology entrenching from a 100000 mile view. What were the concepts on OODB or Object Relational Databases, that really made a difference in technology adoption.

I am not trying to stir even more controversy. Just go on to the next posting if you think my question is not genuine. I just have been looking back into the OO database technology lately and I want to hear honest opinions to aid my judgement.

Arturo Hernandez Received on Wed Feb 15 2006 - 02:43:27 CET

Original text of this message