Re: How are OO databases doing

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:41:48 -0500

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when "Arturo Hernandez" <arthernan_at_hotmail.com> would write:
> I am not trying to stir even more controversy. Just go on to the
> been looking back into the OO database technology lately and I want
> to hear honest opinions to aid my judgement.

One trouble is that OO is somewhat lacking in common theory.

Each language's favoured object model tends to be quite different, with two results:

  1. There isn't usually a "calculus of objects", you just have "Here's how this OODBMS links to this, the one language that it supports", and
  2. Usually, only one language will be decently supported, as supporting multiple languages' object models would require supporting each object model badly.

So you have some C++ OODBs, some Java OODBs, and such.

They tend to amount to a way of serializing objects in the favoured language.

It can get "multi-language" if you reimplement a not-really-interoperable variation in some other language. <http://www.prevayler.org/wiki.jsp?topic=PrevaylerPortsToOtherLanguages>

--
select 'cbbrowne' || '_at_' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html