Re: How are OO databases doing

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2006 03:52:18 -0800

Cristopher,

>Well, I daresay that this represents not much more than the notion of
>having "sequences" (aka lists aka vectors aka arrays) as first class
>objects in the language where you can loop across them.

This is more than that. It extends the application programming languages with pseudorelational extensions (among other things).

For instance this statement maps and array to a DBMS query with join, restriction and projection with compile time syntax, semantic and type checking.

var orders =

        from c in customers,
                o in c.Orders
        where o.OrderDate >= new DateTime(1998, 1, 1)
        select new {c.CustomerID, o.OrderID, o.OrderDate};

The problem is that this is still object relational mapping and all the "queries" are mapped to unidimensional lists instead of having tables as first class citizens.

This is a little and clumsy step in the right direction IMO.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Thu Feb 16 2006 - 12:52:18 CET

Original text of this message