Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 08:14:27 -0800

x wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > JOG wrote:

> software
> definition
> software
> software
> "software

> > > That sounds nonsensical to my ears - one cannot 'develop' data, just as
> > > one can't 'develop' a one or a zero.

> > Agreed. One can implement systems in a combination of software and
> > hardware. But if h/w is what you can weigh (or kick or ...) in a
> > computer and s/w is the rest, then what is a s/w developer? If it is
> > anyone participating in creating software and the software is
> > everything you cannot kick, then a data entry person would be a
> > software developer.
>

> No because entry is not developing :-)
> The one that do software entry are called software developers ?
>

> To distinguish data from software you can say that the software provide a
> function and data does not. The data is processed.

The software might just be sitting there, processing nothing at any given point. Is it then data and NOT software? Derived data would certainly then be software. What data is not derived from bytes? There is nothing without functions except an unaccessed disk. --dawn Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 17:14:27 CET

Original text of this message