Re: How to search?

From: Todd <toddkennethbenson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jan 2006 07:15:46 -0800

MinZero wrote:
> Sorry to be too abstract. I didn't want to bore others with
> unnecessary details.

And I'm sorry to come across as a bit terse, but I think I'm getting what you want now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you want a LIKE %insert_string_here% clause on every field of every table (the pertinent tables, I mean) while restricting the result to a Company_Name?

> > Okee-dokee, what are the tables, exactly? What's your data model
> > you're dealing with?
>
> The tables of significance are as follows: Customer, Products, Sales,
> Sales_Details
>
> > Okee-dokee, what data exactly?
>
> A simple answer would be: everything. There is only one search feature
> on my site. If you search for 'Geo', all the customers with the
> name 'George' and all products with 'Tegeo' should show up
> (That I want to distinguish using proper icons!). The same should of
> course apply to phone numbers, address and so forth.

Sounds like 'Google' in a handbasket. I'd like that also, but haven't had much time to look into the solutions provided. They are out there, though.

> Well. I am using PostgreSQL. I want to have multiple companies signed
> up with my system, and store all their data on a single database.
> Moreover, I want to make sure one user can only search records within
> it's company, and not the whole company.

I'm getting more of the picture here. Thanks for the details.

> I appreciate your comments, and would be more than glad to provide more
> details if needed.

[snip other snide comments by me]

> Reinventing the wheel, I cannot afford (Timewise). I seek magic;
> nonetheless I am willing to go to the extreme if that's what it
> takes.
> Thank you,
> Mike

Also, are you stuck with the existing schema? Do you have existing data that's important to preserve?

Todd Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 16:15:46 CET

Original text of this message