Re: How to search?

From: MinZero <akiany_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2006 18:59:05 -0800

Sorry to be too abstract. I didn't want to bore others with unnecessary details.

> Okee-dokee, what are the tables, exactly? What's your data model
> you're dealing with?

The tables of significance are as follows: Customer, Products, Sales, Sales_Details

> Okee-dokee, what data exactly?

A simple answer would be: everything. There is only one search feature on my site. If you search for 'Geo', all the customers with the name 'George' and all products with 'Tegeo' should show up (That I want to distinguish using proper icons!). The same should of course apply to phone numbers, address and so forth.

> There are a variety of search engines, programs, models, etc. that
> might suit you. That's about all I can say given the tiny bit of
> information you've provided.

Well. I am using PostgreSQL. I want to have multiple companies signed up with my system, and store all their data on a single database. Moreover, I want to make sure one user can only search records within it's company, and not the whole company.

> As much as I hate to say it, and I don't mean to be rude, but I think
> before you can retrieve an answer that you like, you might have to be
> more specific in describing your situation.

I appreciate your comments, and would be more than glad to provide more details if needed.

> On a happier note, maybe googling "search engine algorithm" might help.
> Also search the newsgroups. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Reinventing the wheel, I cannot afford (Timewise). I seek magic; nonetheless I am willing to go to the extreme if that's what it takes.

> If you have a more "scary" agenda, like data-mining, building tons of
> reports, etc. Well then, I think you (and me!) might be better off
> hiring a DBA.
Thank you,
Mike Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 03:59:05 CET

Original text of this message