Re: sql views for denomalizing

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:35:45 GMT

"Eric Junkermann" <eric_at_deptj.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:mXBUWZVyBU8CFw3u_at_deptj.demon.co.uk...

> There is no problem in having a structure clash between the logical
> model and the presentation of the data in a user interface, that is what
> programming is about.

Excellent point!

If I can add my two cents to your megabuck,

The difference between a conceptual view of the data and a logical view of the data is that, at the conceptual level, the distinction between storage, retrieval and sharing on the one hand, and presentation and look and feel on the other, doesn't have a large impact on the model.

In fact, a single conceptual model ought to communicate with: the data architect, the development DBA, the programmers, the end users of the system, the end users of the data, and any other stakeholders.

If these stakeholders can't agree on a common model, there are deeper problems than structural clash. Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 15:35:45 CEST

Original text of this message