Re: Property sheet, ad hoc, property page, flexible data

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ucantrade.com.NOTHERE>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:41:11 -0700

On 25 Jul 2005 07:10:53 -0700, "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>David Cressey wrote:

[snip]

>> And the vast
>> majority of programmers I've come in contact with have no knowledge of what
>> the data "really means". Their level of interpretation of the data is
>> strictly what's necessary in order to determine whether their programs are
>> delivering correct results. That's it.

     That is, what the data means to the DBMS.

>Hmmm. Could you clarify the difference? The two things you describe
>here seem to me to be the same thing.

     What does the data mean to the DBMS? It is merely the sum of all the constraints.

     What does the data mean to the end user? What it means to the DBMS and more. A value of "Toronto" for City means more to the end user than just the characters.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Tue Jul 26 2005 - 01:41:11 CEST

Original text of this message