Re: Normalisation

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:02:13 GMT

Patsybulo wrote:
> First all, I'll like to say thanks for your contribution. I'm not too
> comfortable with your explanations: I am not looking at null values as
> specail values.

That is irrelevant. The point is that you *can* pretend they are special values and the apply normalization theory.

> They can be any form data within that domain but at the
> time of normalisation, how would you treat zero entries.

Like I said, as a special value. Another option is to treat the field as a set-valued field (since it apparently can contain 0 or 1 values) which means that you are not in 1NF and should first normalize such that you are.

> Now, Commenting
> on your first point, would this mean that the theory of insertion can't be
> applied on relations?

No.

  • Jan Hidders