Re: Designing a language database - issues?

From: Noel <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:16:55 +0100

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:38:36 +0100, Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>As a hobby project, I want to write a dictionary (basically of
>Hungarian for English speakers - but I don't suppose that the
>languages themselves matter fundamentally. It will be a bit more
>complicated than just a simple word list - I want to put in grammar
>and usage also.
>

>Has any work been done on this - design of tables &c? I did Google,
>but couldn't see anything satisfactory.

You will need to do a little research into the algorithms commonly used to implement dictionaries and choose the most appropriate to your particular application. The most common approaches are hash tables, balanced or unbalanced binary search trees and skip lists. Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 09:16:55 CEST

Original text of this message