From: Alexandr Savinov <savinov_at_host.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:10:33 +0200

Alfredo Novoa schrieb:

>>>Such a thing does not exist.
>>
>>Jan Van den Bussche , Jan Paredaens, The expressive power structured
>>values in pure OODB's (extended abstract), Proceedings of the tenth ACM
>>SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART symposium on Principles of database systems,
>>p.291-299, May 29-31, 1991, Denver, Colorado, United States

> I don't have access to such paper, but the OODB data model does not
> exist. OODB's use the network approach.

There exists everything that has a reference. And vice versa: no reference - no object (even if it "really" exists). Once OODB has a reference then we assume that such a thing exists (even if it does not "really" exists).

> Why “The Object Model' is Not a Data Model, RELATIONAL DATABASE
> WRITINGS 1994-1997
>
> and:
>
> http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/622923.htm

That's a biased opinion of those who prefer some other approach about what they do not like. If somebody does not like, say, "Theory X" then it does not mean that this theory does not exist.

The whole discussion is probably about the term "model" which is going to be privatized and exploited by only one group with the permission to be used only in one context. For example, if I propose to use 3 boxes with paper documents identifed by real numbers for storing my data then is it a data model? I can store my data, I can retrieve and manipulate it. I can update it. Is it a data model? I mean that independent of OODB usefulness and our opinion it can be qualified as existing. (But maybe it is obvious and nobody doubts.)

--
http://conceptoriented.com