Re: Tools for automated normalization ?

From: <tomjbr.10216233_at_bloglines.com>
Date: 2 May 2005 13:11:28 -0700

Re: Re: Tools for automated normalization ?
>It seems to me that the hard part is knowing, understanding and
>determining the functional dependencies. If you know enough to do
>that, you know enough to normalise the tables yourself. In fact, to
>state the FDs is to normalise the tables, isn't it?

Well, if it is always true that your database schema is in 3rd normal form when you have stated the FD's, then can someone tell the reason for why Bernstein's normalization algorithm exists: "Synthesizing Third Normal Form Relations from Functional Dependencies" http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/journals/tods/Bernstein76.html

I have not read Bernstein's paper myself, but thinks that it would not make any sense to try to normalize a set of functional depencies if you could know that they are always normalized in the first place...

/ Tomas Received on Mon May 02 2005 - 22:11:28 CEST

Original text of this message