Re: Tools for automated normalization ?

From: Tony Andrews <andrewst_at_onetel.com>
Date: 2 May 2005 07:51:18 -0700

Tom wrote:
> Are there any tools (either some software with a GUI or a class
> library component in java or .NET to be reused) that can be used to
> automatically normalize a relational database ?
>
> The input should be a list of functional dependencies between the
> attributes/columns, and the output should be a list of suggested
> relations/tables that are normalized to at least the 3rd normal form.
>
> The theories and algorithms for normalizations has been around for
> quite some time now, I believe, so it seems strange to me if no good
> commercial or open source implementations have yet been created...

It seems to me that the hard part is knowing, understanding and determining the functional dependencies. If you know enough to do that, you know enough to normalise the tables yourself. In fact, to state the FDs is to normalise the tables, isn't it? Received on Mon May 02 2005 - 16:51:18 CEST

Original text of this message