Re: Modelling Considered Harmful

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:39:46 -0400

mAsterdam wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:

>> gnuoytr wrote:
>>>but an ERP/BOM database is used as a guide to build widgets.
>>
>> an erp system is uses the records of demand to generate requests for
>> supply, and to prove the requests were made by making a record of them.
>> Record-keeping.  The allocation process makes it automated record-keeping
>> actually.

> The way I use this vocabulary: "The allocation process is the model
> of one aspect of the business, it's datamodel is a part of that
> model. The database and procedures conforming to that model provide
> the record-keeping to support this aspect of the business."
>
> ISTM this makes sense, and I don't (yet? convince me :-) see how
> making this statement without the word model would better help me
> understand.

I can't. I offered the definitions in the OP and offered the observation that a working db is more of a record-keeping system than a model. You say the words mean something to you w/o reference to the definitions, it seems to be for you a free-floating axiom, which cannot be argued with.

As for allocation, it is a process. Before computers it was conducted by people. Unless they were striking in appearance, we did not call them models. The program replaces a human being in performing a record-keeping task, nothing more.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.