Re: Modelling Considered Harmful

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:14:43 +0200

Kenneth Downs wrote:
> gnuoytr wrote:

>>but an ERP/BOM database is used as a guide to build widgets.

> an erp system is uses the records of demand to generate requests for supply,
> and to prove the requests were made by making a record of them.
> Record-keeping. The allocation process makes it automated record-keeping
> actually.

The way I use this vocabulary: "The allocation process is the model of one aspect of the business, it's datamodel is a part of that model. The database and procedures conforming to that model provide the record-keeping to support this aspect of the business."

ISTM this makes sense, and I don't (yet? convince me :-) see how making this statement without the word model would better help me understand.

> The widgets are built according to the diagrams, processes, etc of their
> designers. Those are the model, the ERP simply produces the instructions
> to follow the model.

"the model" - There are more than one. Received on Wed Apr 27 2005 - 08:14:43 CEST

Original text of this message