Re: Modelling Considered Harmful

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:31:07 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message news:jhdoj2-e16.ln1_at_pluto.downsfam.net...
> paul c wrote:
>

>> In modern times, the OO programming people seem to have some claim on
>> the word as it relates to simulation whence many of their techniques /
>> languages sprung. In the DB world, I'm not sure whether Codd invented
>> the term 'data model' but he certainly exposed it, not to mention
>> defined it. However, he was talking about about a 'model of data', NOT
>> a 'model of reality'.
>
> Codd's use of the term seems to fit well definitions 2 and 3 of model:
>
>>> 2. Something intended to serve, as a pattern of something to be made
>>> 3. Anything which serves, or may serve, as an example for imitation

IMO Codd was looking towards the future, to a DBMS software that could function in a manner intended in relation to the data it held. His model was implemented in 1979 and its implementation improved in the following decades.

His model, and the RM of the data belongs to the 1970's, prior to the release of Oracle, and in the 1980's DB2 and SQL Server, among other RDBMS software.

Codd's and Date's model of the data is thus antiquated, except for the purpose of historical reference, seeing as though it has been realised for over 30 years within the machinery of software (RDBMS vendors).

Harmful? Yes. Database theorists and academics are having a field day in generating useless pedagogic literature that bears absolutely no reference to the technical reality and/or USE of modern RDBMS software.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz
www.mountainman.com.au Received on Sat Apr 23 2005 - 06:31:07 CEST