Re: Modelling Considered Harmful

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:23:47 GMT

mountain man wrote:
> "Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message
>

>>paul c wrote:
>>

>>>In modern times, the OO programming people seem to have some claim on
>>>the word as it relates to simulation whence many of their techniques /
>>>languages sprung.  In the DB world, I'm not sure whether Codd invented
>>>the term 'data model' but he certainly exposed it, not to mention
>>>defined it.  However, he was talking about about a 'model of data', NOT
>>>a 'model of reality'.
>>
>>Codd's use of the term seems to fit well definitions 2 and 3 of model:

> IMO Codd was looking towards the future, to a DBMS software
> that could function in a manner intended in relation to the data it held.
> His model was implemented in 1979 and its implementation improved
> in the following decades.

I don't speak for Codd, few if any can, though it wouldn't surprise me if he had thought about doing this but I don't know where he ever talked or wrote about such a notion unless it was during one of his earlier creative periods in the 1950's and 1960's, long before the relational papers. If he had, it would likely have been noticed. In my words, what he did with 'data' was examine the useful ways it was being manipulated and then he deconstructed those to a kind of essentiality. He then created something entirely new from that insight. I'd like to know where if anywhere he ever reconstructed program theory in a relational way.

pc Received on Sat Apr 23 2005 - 19:23:47 CEST

Original text of this message