Re: database systems: an environment of roles & players

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:31:06 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114182630.468223.249210_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> mountain man wrote:

...[tirim]...

>> It is just a list of roles. Often people assume the perspective of one
>> (or more) of these roles when arguing about the database system
>> environment in general - or certain theory surrounding databases.
>>
>> It is helpful to identify when this happens, and important
>> to understand how all these different perspectives may be
>> reconciled from a global perspective.
>
> Sounds good. I do something similar when I talk about how small to
> mid-size companies roll many of these roles into single individuals who
> will necessarily do a better job on some of these roles than others.

It is certainly the case that in smaller organisations a small number of people concurrently perform a number of these roles.

Here in Australia it is cutromary to have an IT manager (as distinct from a DBA) at every large (number of users > 100) database site, usually without exception.

Does this happen in the US?

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz