Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2005 11:55:55 -0700

> Given that such an environment exists whereby both data objects
> and program objects are physically stored within the RDBMS
> has anyone seen recently any emergent models that address both
> these objects in a consistent manner?

That ultimate model (whatever it might actually be) is ubiquitous and has existed forever. It is the model that the universe is based on. It is probably impossible / impractical to implement on any other hardware except that of the universe itself which is a combined db / multi-processor. Having said that, possibly the next closest model, albeit a very very distant 2nd, on single-processor type man-made computers might be the one used by XDb. I tried to explain it here for several years but nearly all the experts agreed that it didn't make sense or could possibly work.

> Do you think it is important to address the issue that a model
> of both the data objects and the program objects is required?

If one wants to eventually implement systems more similar to the human mind, yes.

> What obstacles face the conception of such a model?

Bob, Alfredo, Lee, Gene, Alan, Hugo and even Codd, Date and Pascal ... to name a few :) Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 20:55:55 CEST

Original text of this message