Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:55:24 +0200

On 12 Apr 2005 11:55:55 -0700, Neo wrote:

>> What obstacles face the conception of such a model?
>
>Bob, Alfredo, Lee, Gene, Alan, Hugo and even Codd, Date and Pascal ...
>to name a few :)

Hi Neo,

I must protest. I never did anything to obstruct your attempts to build the Ultimate Database. I do admit that I have doubts (very big doubts) about the viability of your ideas - but I'm also ready to be proven wrong on those doubts.

The only thing I do obstruct is your claim that I have not met the terms of the $1,000 challenge you posted about a year ago. I don't claim that RM is "betteer" than XDb (nor that it's "worse", mind you). I don't claim that RM will "always" be faster at the given task than XDb. I only claim that I've met the terms of the challenge, _as you posted them_.

Maybe it was bad luck, that you chose the wrong words, with as result a challenge you never intended to put up. Maybe it was bad luck, that you forgot to upload the improved version of XDb1 *before* posting the challenge. Maybe - but all that is irrelevant. You DID choose specific words, and you DID set a specific performance goal.

What you've failed to do, is to acknowledge that I met your challenge. I don't know why. Maybe you don't have the money? No sweat - I'm not Uncle Scrooge, I'm sure we can work something out. But I sure as hell would like to see you acknowledge (if only once!) that I *did* meet the terms of the challenge.

I'm not sure if I should send this. I'll probably get one of your template replies - and I already have enough of those to last me a lifetime.

Oh, what the heck - as the Nike commercials say - just do it.

(Ctrl-N)

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)