Re: Data modeller/Meta Data repository needed

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:36:39 GMT

"sparky" <gibsong4077_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:d547331b.0503080945.5cfcf61_at_posting.google.com...
> Dear All,
>
> I am currently looking for a piece of software that can do the
> following, to lesser or greater degrees (this is quite general)...
>
> - Can entity model/ produce logical & physical models etc
> - Forward & Reverse engineer databases etc
> - Supports 'main' enterprise DB's ie. UDB2, Oracle, Sybase, MS-SQL
> Server etc
> - Can act as a meta data repository
>
> My 'task' is to create data models and ER diagrams, along with
> corresponding meta data, for a variety of DB's, and be able to publish
> this information on our Intranet so it is visible to the business and
> IT. It would also be great if we can work it into 'change control', so
> we can force developers to adopt naming standards, common data-types
> etc
>
> All recommendations etc much apprecitaed.

About 5 years ago, I used a tool called "Data Architect" that does this. DA is part of Power Designer from Sybase.

I haven't tracked the product for about 4 years now, so my recommendation may be out of date. It used to be fairly pricy, but quite good. Received on Tue Mar 08 2005 - 20:36:39 CET

Original text of this message