Re: tracking shipments, inventory

From: <ak_tiredofspam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2004 08:33:40 -0800

as usual, it depends on the circumstances.I'm not sure what do you mean by "temporal dependency is burdensome and worrisome".

Anyway, I would start with a slightly different design

ship_Location(locid, loctype /* 1 -here, 2 - customer, 3 - stock */, ...)
order_shipment : (shipid, shipdate, shipqty, fromlocid, tolocid ...).

The advantage is obvious: less tables to join, no need for your 4 child tables (with all due respect to Joe Celko I have never ever heard a live person say "referencing tables", so I'd rather not speak dead languages)
Your original child tables may easily be implemented as views Received on Thu Dec 23 2004 - 17:33:40 CET

Original text of this message