Re: tracking shipments, inventory

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:08:29 -0500

"-CELKO-" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1103816103.977166.198250_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Also, in RDBMS, rows are not records, columns are not fields and tables
> are not files. Thre are no parent and child tables (those are older
> navigational database terms); we have referenced and referencing
> tables.

Joe,

Do you ever feel like you are tilting at windmills on this? Surely you must feel outnumbered. I base this solely on the number of times you must try to correct posters on the usage. I am not saying you are wrong, because you are not, but here is the problem: A column is a field once it gets on a (GUI) form. A row is essentially a logical (logical assemblage of information into a) record to most "humans". Parent and child tables are terms that are easy to understand, and often enough correctly describe the realtionship. IOW, people _like_ these terms. Historically, the terms people like win out over the "correct" ones. Example: Disembark instead of Debark. Pronounciation of "Escapee" as "eh-SCAPE-ee" instead of the correct "ESS-kah-pee". Soon, I suspect we will have to recognize "irregardless" regardless of the fact that it ain't(!) a word. I competely agree with the use of table instead of file, unless you are talking about an xBase implementation, in which case they unfortunately coincide. My manager refers to an Oracle table as a "file" and it drives me nuts. Received on Thu Dec 23 2004 - 17:08:29 CET

Original text of this message