Re: Demo: Modelling Cost of Travel Paths Between Towns

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:15:32 +0100

On 2 Dec 2004 08:19:13 -0800, Neo wrote:

>> Hugo would like to see his $1000, you fraud.
>
>Please demonstrate Neo is a fraud by showing that Hugo's RM Solution
>#1 and #2 aren't nearly twice as slow as XDb1's even when XDb1 is
>executed on a 5.6X slower machine. See measurements below. You are
>weclome to download XDb1 (see www.xdb1/example/ex076.asp) and verify
>it against Hugo's solutions.

Hi Neo,

That link doesn't work. I think you forgot to include the .com part of the URL. Unfortunately, if I add this I can only download the input to recreate your example, not XDb1 itself (as you imply in your text).

Fortunately, I still have a copy of XDb1 beta v4.4.7 (the version that was current when you posted your challenge and that any comparisons shouyld be made against). I doubt that anybody will be interested in repeating this old exercise, but if anyone really wants to make the comparison for himor  herself, then I am willing (if you permit me to) to mail him or her a copy of XDb1 beta v4.4.7.

>Not only are Hugo's solutions slower,

Lying again?

> but they are not as generic or
>normalized. For instance, Hugo's solution cannot represent the
>following cases
(snip)

But my solution can represent the case you set out in the challenge. You STILL owe me $1000. <shrug>

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)