Re: Demo: Modelling Cost of Travel Paths Between Towns

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:57:43 -0500

> > First of all, towns almost never change names. The two that come to mind
in
> > the last 50 years in the U.S. are Tucumcari, NM to Truth or
Consequences,
> > NM, and Levittown, NJ to Willingboro, NJ.
>
> The quite-interestingly-named Kinnakeet, NC changed its name some years
ago
> to the unbelievably pedestrian "Avon."

Too bad. Kinnakeet is a good, unique, interesting name. I just read today that the tiny, ugly town of South Belmar, NJ is changing its name to (are you sitting down?) Lake Como (yes, like the one in northern Italy). When you stop laughing...

> BTW, massive cool points for working Truth or Consequences NM into
> the conversation.

Thanks!

> > (Every town and city has a "main" post office. In Philadelphia, PA,
which
> > has, I don't know, maybe 52 zip codes, the main post office is 19104
(there
> > is a 19101, 02, and 03, but they are not the "main" post office)). So,
the
> > data for Philadlphia, PA would be:
> >
> > Philadelphia PA 19104
> >
> > Huh? New information just in? There's suddenly another Philadelphia in
PA
> > (Happens a lot with Springfield. Many states have more than one.)
>

> All I can say is Intercourse Pennsylvania!

Hey, what did Pennsylvania ever do to you???

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=&city=Intercourse&state=PA