Re: Demo: Modelling Cost of Travel Paths Between Towns

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:32:49 GMT

"Alan" <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message news:_reld.307$2V4.227_at_trndny06...

> First of all, towns almost never change names. The two that come to mind in
> the last 50 years in the U.S. are Tucumcari, NM to Truth or Consequences,
> NM, and Levittown, NJ to Willingboro, NJ.

The quite-interestingly-named Kinnakeet, NC changed its name some years ago to the unbelievably pedestrian "Avon."

BTW, massive cool points for working Truth or Consequences NM into the conversation.

> (Every town and city has a "main" post office. In Philadelphia, PA, which
> has, I don't know, maybe 52 zip codes, the main post office is 19104 (there
> is a 19101, 02, and 03, but they are not the "main" post office)). So, the
> data for Philadlphia, PA would be:
>
> Philadelphia PA 19104
>
> Huh? New information just in? There's suddenly another Philadelphia in PA
> (Happens a lot with Springfield. Many states have more than one.)

All I can say is Intercourse Pennsylvania!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=&city=Intercourse&state=PA

Marshall Received on Tue Nov 16 2004 - 18:32:49 CET

Original text of this message