Re: Enforcing Referential Integrity: Pros vs. Cons?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:20:50 -0600

> > It is a way to get speed. It is at the expense of accuracy, but
> > some do not see that.
>
> Or sometimes they see it and they don't care. Sigh.

Accuracy has many faces. When a system is rigid, the users of that system figure out how to work around the system rather than request or make changes. We have all seen systems where the end user or even the application developer decides they will store this code in that location because it isn't currently used for anything else. When the metadata does not accurately name the data, the system is not accurate.

The trade-off isn't really one of speed for accuracy -- it has to do with the ongoing support for an accurate system and the agility (I know some don't like the word, but it is a good word) of the trustees of the system to make accurate changes to the system in a timely fashion.

--dawn Received on Tue Nov 16 2004 - 19:20:50 CET

Original text of this message