Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:37:46 -0500

"Bill H" <wphaskettatTHISISMUNGEDadvantosdotnet> wrote in message news:GYednWcMZJqSMAzcRVn-ig_at_adelphia.com...

> Several reasons, really. Many of the IT departments I've been involved
> with, and do business with, between the PHBs and the DBAs, don't operate
in
> an environment designed for them to know the true costs of their work. By
> definition, they're a department and operate under department guidelines.
> In a smaller business the owner is responsible for everything. Each
mistake
> costs the owner directly (e.g. cash out of their pocket). This is not the
> model of a large company department. We can discuss the similarities and
> differences but I only want to answer your immediate question.

Bill,

I'm glad that I hung in there long enough to be able to read the resolution of this matter. I agree with almost everything you said in this post. And most of the points you made deserve an entire topic of their own.

> I don't presume to know the extent of business ownership experience in
this
> forum. But since it is an IT forum, I'd postulate the members of the
> department set outnumber the members of direct business owners set. :-)
> However, I could be incorrect in this assumption.

I can only speak for myself. Every billable hour I had during my career as a visiting database expert involved clients. Most of the hours were spent at customer sites.

> > Just what was it that made you give up your vacation anyway, if it's
not
> > too private?
>
> In a small business, all cash flowing into the company goes first to the
> employees, then to the gov't, then to the rent, then to ...., and finally
> the owner. This is the truth of business ownership. No money, no
vacation.
> It's simple, really.

For about 20 years, I worked for a company of one person. It doesn't get any smaller than that.
I know what you're talking about. But in a company of one, you can't blame the employees.

> This is one of the general points I'm always trying to make: that the
> standard IT operational model could certainly use imput from other areas
of
> the business entity.

Absolutely!

One of the general points I'm always trying to make is that subject matter knowledge is key to successful application design.

> I've had excellent experience with RDBMS products too. Heck I'm one of
> those certified PeopleSoft developers which can use a number of DBMS
> products.

Good! Add yourself to the list of people who know how to make RDBMS products work for a living!

> I thought her list was funny and thought provoking. I didn't read much
more
> into it than that. :-)

It wasn't her list. She was responding to a question posed by erk.

> > Ditto for Peoplesoft or Oracle Financials.
>
> Ahhh, the "silver bullet". I view the dbms as part of a business
solution;
> to be analyzed with the various components of the solution together, or at
> least attempt to measure the effects of one on the other. That's why I'm
> inclined to be more inclusive of competing ideas for the very reasons you
> stated above; there's diversity to our problems. :-)

So am I. That's why I continue to pay attention to Dawn in spite of our deep differences.
She may not want to know what you and I have learned, but I want to know what she's learned. Received on Wed Nov 10 2004 - 13:37:46 CET

Original text of this message