Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:50:10 -0500

Laconic2 wrote:

>> I'm not ever debating this with anyone, why would I.  I simply note the
>> difficulties the development structure presents when:
>>
>> 1) databases are managed by one group of people,
>> 2) user interfaces are managed by another group of people, and
>> 3) the end product is put into the hands of a business trying to make a
>> profit.

> I have to agree with you that the internal politics of getting groups to
> truly collaborate with each other, instead of pretending that the
> workplace
> is one giant "survivor's island" is truly formidable. But this is not
> unique to IT. We have sales departments, advertising departments, and
> strategic marketing departments that ought to be working synergistically
> with each other, but are not. And I could go on.

PMFJI. A friend of mine refers to DBAs and programmers as "natural enemies in the wild." Wish I could disagree with him.

Is there some sound basis upon which we can relieve the natural division between programmer and dba? My own answer divides the client into "layout" and "process". For layout you need someone with a keen eye to mark up some HTML (oops, I mean XHTML (oops, I mean XML)), but the drum I beat around here says the procedural code in the client is all dependent upon the definition of the database, so may as well generate it.

This leaves the programmer prototyping new cases that the code generator cannot seem to handle, but not doing much else.

Are there are theories on this? Are we stuck with it forever? If not, what is there to be done?

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to