Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 08:13:09 -0600

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:KcudnYlLt7cv7xHcRVn-ig_at_comcast.com...

> "Dan" <guntermann_at_verizon.com> wrote in message
>
> > Hey, I think reasonable people can have reasonable conversations and a
> > reasonable exchange of ideas. The "innocent" questions line grows a
> little
> > old after a while, though, especially after the "innocence" is recycled
> over
> > and over again. I don't claim to own this newsgroup, so I will leave it
> > the rest of you to determine what you find of value.
> >
> > Dawn's "concerns" haven't changed much in the last year. She hasn't
> > modified her position or her assertions at all as far as I can tell,
even
> in
> > the face of some very well articulated arguments (not mine), many of
which
> > of nothing really to do relational theory or a particular design
> > methodology, per se. I have given her the benefit of the doubt for a
> year.
> > Nothing has changed. This is not meant as a personal attack I think
Dawn
> > is a fine human being and she writes interesting things. I just feel no
> > closer to "the truth" after reviewing exchanges. This is rather
> > unsatisfying.
>
> On this point I think I have to agree with you. Basically, Dawn for the
> last year (at least) has been on a quest to find a theoretical base that
> would explain what she observed in her experience, in leading teams that
> used products like Oracle, and in leading at least one team that used
Pick.

> The thing is that her experience is not replicable at will. If you wanted
> to talk with Galileo about the theory of how heavy and light cannonballs
> fall, the first thing you could do is carry two cannonballs of different
> weight up to the top of a tower and drop them. If your experience
> replicated his, now you have something to talk about. If not, you have
> something else to talk about.
>
> This situation is not like that. I'm not about to try to replicate Dawn's
> experience over the last fifteen odd years, and neither are you, I
suspect.

> So all we have to offer are our experiences, which do not map well into
> hers. And all we have to offer in the way of theory is a theory that her
> experience tells her is deeply flawed, and that your experience and mine
> tell us is highly productive at a practical level.

I did lay low for a while and piped back up again more recently, when again reflecting on these matters. Since I am only seeking answers to this question in my down-time, I'm not moving very quickly. I'll go back to listening rather than speaking on the question of 1NF for a while and perhaps it will all become clearer in time. I'll try to refrain from speaking up on 1NF again unless I have something new to add to the conversation. Cheers! --dawn Received on Sat Nov 06 2004 - 15:13:09 CET

Original text of this message