Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Fredrik Bertilsson <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 22:17:22 -0700

alfredo_at_ncs.es (Alfredo Novoa) wrote:
> >> Why wouldn't it be easier to translate back and forth between standard SQL
> >> and the vendor's dialect SQL?
> >It is not easier because first you need to do parsing of the standard
> >SQL.
>
> And what's the problem for a good programmer? ;-)
Making a parser for SQL is a rather big project, and it will affect the performace of your application.

> You can use an embedded SQL pre-procesor. this is a very old idea.
Yes, you SQL pre-processor does not give me the object representation of the query. And in many applications, queries are built dynamically (paging and search queries, etc). Using SQL pre-processor, SQL statements are static.

> But this is a good reason for creating a new programming language
> which allows relational expressions.
I agree, but while waiting why can we not use the constructs (API calls) availible in the current programming languages?

Fredrik Bertilsson
http://butler.sourceforge.net Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 07:17:22 CEST

Original text of this message