Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Fredrik Bertilsson <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 22:20:32 -0700

alfredo_at_ncs.es (Alfredo Novoa) wrote:
> >Everyone talks about this feature, but how often does a real business app
> >change databases? Pretty much never.
>
> I agree, the programming languages change a lot more often than the
> DBMSs. I have seen a project with six or seven programming language
> changes but it always used Oracle.

I strongly disagree. I have seen many customer request for database vendor indepent applications. Most major ERP vendors have multiple database vendor support. Only if you make custom tailored applications, you can accept being tied to one database vendor.

Fredrik Bertilsson
http://butler.sourceforge.net Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 07:20:32 CEST

Original text of this message