Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Alfredo Novoa <anovoa_at_ncs.es>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 04:26:51 +0200

On 22 Oct 2004 22:17:22 -0700, fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se (Fredrik Bertilsson) wrote:

>> And what's the problem for a good programmer? ;-)

>Making a parser for SQL is a rather big project

A parser for the whole standard it is, but a parser for the typical subset we use is rather simple and we have plenty of parser building tools.

>, and it will affect
>the performace of your application.

Not significantly more than an AST building API.

>> You can use an embedded SQL pre-procesor. this is a very old idea.
>Yes, you SQL pre-processor does not give me the object representation
>of the query.

Not, you still would need the run-time parser, but the 3GL compiler and the API don't give to you the semantic errors in compile time.

> And in many applications, queries are built dynamically
>(paging and search queries, etc). Using SQL pre-processor, SQL
>statements are static.

But they may have parameters. IMO those queries should be created with parameters.

A parametrized query can be "prepared" by the SQL DBMS and they perform faster than dinamically built queries.

>> But this is a good reason for creating a new programming language
>> which allows relational expressions.
>I agree, but while waiting why can we not use the constructs (API
>calls) availible in the current programming languages?

We already have D4 and projetcs like Rel, and it is a lot easier and more productive to type the queries in a relational language.

But there is a guy making some very similar to what you want.

See CsiDB in www.thethirdmanifesto.com

Regards Received on Sun Oct 24 2004 - 04:26:51 CEST

Original text of this message