Re: The fable of DEMETRIUS, CONSTRAINTICUS, and AUTOMATICUS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:50:12 -0400

Ken,

Actually I was more interested in sharing the functionality of DA than in promoting the product itself.

As far as third party licensing goes, it seems to me that a product such as DA would not have to be deployed to the client's site. As far as they are concerned, you are sending them DDL, either in a file, or via ODBC. Only you need to know that they DDL is actually DA generated. At least, that's the impression I got when you said that the "system of record" with the data definitions in it, would remain at your site.

Of course, the client still needs a license for the DBMS, and maybe a run time license for some programming language, too. But that's another story.

Anyway, back to DA. It strikes me, from reading your earlier messages that your "data dictionary tool" has much of the same flavor as DA. That's why I recommended it to your attention. You might get some ideas from it that could influence the direction you take.

Example: the PDM supports domains, even if the target DBMS does not. That way, DA "knows" that two columns are based on the same domain, even if Oracle doesn't "know" the same fact. Interesting, no? Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 00:50:12 CEST

Original text of this message